Monday, September 10, 2007

Forsa 1022N: OS Installation & Peripherals - Linux

There are 2 Flavors of Linux which I already install in this machine:
  1. The Easy One: Linux Mint 3.0 (Cassandra)
  2. The Classic One: Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
With The Easy One I've manage to have almost every peripherals detected but Hardware Information applet from Control Center refuses to work. Actually, right after installed there is a component need to be updated (Hardware Abstraction Layer / hal). But as I have the DVD repository, I decided to skip that update and directly goes to the DVD which unfortunately doesn't include that update :(
The main thing is I cannot have the modem set up so I cannot connect to the net. List that do not work:
  1. Modem
  2. Beryl (Found that the renderer should be forced to nvidia on Feisty Fawn installed system)
  3. All network connection is not tested
Nice thing with Mint is proprietary/restricted components are installed out-of-box e.g DVD/VCD playback, Flash & Java.
As everything works I decided to remove the Easy One and went to the Classic One for more enlighment :)

With The Classic One goes the same song but we must install all
restricted & proprietary component. But with Feisty I've managed to set the
modem 'detectable' (as Alsa modem) but cannot dial out yet. (to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be polite and don't SPAM, Thanks :)